Monday, June 2, 2008

Please Teacher..Can I have some more?

Teacher...What's in a word? This is one word that can mean many things..If you look it up in the dictionary you get;

Noun: teacher teechu(r)
A person whose occupation is teaching
- instructor

A personified abstraction that teaches
"books were his teachers"; "experience is a demanding teacher"


But is that enough? Does that word define what we really do, who we really are and moreover how important we are?

Everyone needs a teacher...Even if we are teachers now, we still need to see someone else do the job..get ideas..watch how they work...maybe see their plans..we need an example...

I have a fine example...A teacher who in my eyes does what most teachers cannot..He was my lecturer at university and his name is Ismail Hakkı Erten...

He was someone who kept us on our toes, made us feel important but never spoiled us, talked in a manner that made us fear yet respect him..

When you ask kids what they want to be when they are grown up..you always hear the usual 'Hero' jobs... "I want to be a fireman...a policeman...a soldier"...and so on...

Do you ever hear a child say they want to be a teacher? Probably not. But if you ask me what I want to be when I'm older..I would tell you I want to be just like my teacher...

No comments: